Ethiopian Archbishop Residence in Jerusalem (EARJ)

Bereich "Identifikation"

Identifikator/Signatur

PS-EARJ

Autorisierte Namensform

Ethiopian Archbishop Residence in Jerusalem (EARJ)

Parallele Namensformen

Andere Namensformen

Art

  • kirchlich

Bereich "Kontakt"

 

Ethiopian Archbishop of Jerusalem

Art

Adresse

Straße

Ethiopian Monastery Street, near the 8th Station of the Via Dolorosa

Örtlichkeit

Jerusalem

Region

Ländername

Palästinensische Gebiete

Postleitzahl

Telefon

Fax

E-Mail

URL

Anmerkung

Beschreibungsfeld

Geschichte

In 1876, the Ethiopians acquired a house in the old city of Jerusalem with the help of the German Johann Frutiger, director of a branch of the Ottoman Bank. This house was immediately leased to the religious institution called the Sisters of Charity of St. Vincent of Paul until 1891. After this year, Ethiopians took full possession of the house and established there the residence of the Ethiopian abbot leader of the Ethiopian community in Jerusalem. After 1951 and the creation of the Ethiopian bishopric in Jerusalem, this house became the headquarter of the Ethiopian bishops in Jerusalem, and after 1959, of the Archbishopric in Jerusalem.
Some residents:
Memher (superior) Walde Sama’et (1891-1902)
Memher Faqada Egzie (1903-1906)
Memher Mahtsanta Sellasie (1906-1923)
Memher Tesfa Masqal (1923-1927)
Memher Walde Mikael (1927-1933)
Memher Gabre Giyorgis (1933-1935)
Memher Kefla Garima (1935-1944)
Memher Gabre Iyasus (1944-1945)
Memher Haraga Wayn (1945-1951)
Archbishop Filppos (1951-1966)
Archbishop Yosef (1966-1972)
Archbishop Matéwos (1972-1977)
Archbishop Matthias (1979-1982; 2009-2013)
Archbishop Selama (1982-1984)
Archbishop Gabriel (1998-2001)
Archbishop Kewistos (2002-2005)

The Ethiopian archbishop’s residence in the old city preserves a part of Ethiopian community’s archives. These archives are divided into two main sections: the current administrative archival office, which includes all types of administrative documents, and the manuscript section.

  • In the current administrative archival office, there is an heterogeneous set of documents dated from the end of 19th century to present. There is no historical archives properly speaking. It seems that the archives’ organisation changed several times during the last 50 years : therefore, today’s folders represent only the last state of many arrangements. These archives are still used by the local administration for current affairs.

  • The manuscripts section carefully preserves numerous parchment and paper manuscripts written in Ethiopian languages (Geez and Amharic). The collection represents more than 760 manuscripts. The oldest one dates back to the 15th century.

Geographischer und kultureller Zusammenhang

Mandate/Herkunft der Kompetenz

Verwaltungsstruktur

Records management und Sammlungsstrategie

Gebäude

Bestände

Findmittel, Archivführer und Publikationen

Zugangsfeld

Öffnungszeiten

Zugangsbedingungen und Auflagen

Zugänglichkeit

Servicefeld

Forschungsservices

Reproduktionsmöglichkeiten

Öffentliche Bereiche

Bereich "Kontrolle"

Identifikator "Beschreibung"

Archivcode

Benutzte Regeln und/oder Konventionen

Status

Erschließungstiefe

Daten der Bestandsbildung, der Überprüfung und der Skartierung/Kassierung

Entry prepared on January 2018

Sprache(n)

Schrift(en)

Anmerkungen zur Wartung

Author : Stéphane Ancel

Zugriffspunkte

Zugriffspunkte

  • Zwischenablage

Kontaktperson

Ethiopian Monastery Street, near the 8th Station of the Via Dolorosa
Jerusalem
PS