Ethiopian Archbishop Residence in Jerusalem (EARJ)

Area dell'identificazione

Codice identificativo

PS-EARJ

Forma autorizzata del nome

Ethiopian Archbishop Residence in Jerusalem (EARJ)

Forma(e) parallele di nome

Altra(e) forma(e) di nome

Tipo

  • Religioso

Area dei contatti

 

Ethiopian Archbishop of Jerusalem

Tipo

Indirizzo

Indirizzo stradale

Ethiopian Monastery Street, near the 8th Station of the Via Dolorosa

Località

Jerusalem

Regione

Nome del Paese

Palestina

Codice di avviamento postale

Telefono

Fax

Email

URL

Nota

Area della descrizione

Cronologia

In 1876, the Ethiopians acquired a house in the old city of Jerusalem with the help of the German Johann Frutiger, director of a branch of the Ottoman Bank. This house was immediately leased to the religious institution called the Sisters of Charity of St. Vincent of Paul until 1891. After this year, Ethiopians took full possession of the house and established there the residence of the Ethiopian abbot leader of the Ethiopian community in Jerusalem. After 1951 and the creation of the Ethiopian bishopric in Jerusalem, this house became the headquarter of the Ethiopian bishops in Jerusalem, and after 1959, of the Archbishopric in Jerusalem.
Some residents:
Memher (superior) Walde Sama’et (1891-1902)
Memher Faqada Egzie (1903-1906)
Memher Mahtsanta Sellasie (1906-1923)
Memher Tesfa Masqal (1923-1927)
Memher Walde Mikael (1927-1933)
Memher Gabre Giyorgis (1933-1935)
Memher Kefla Garima (1935-1944)
Memher Gabre Iyasus (1944-1945)
Memher Haraga Wayn (1945-1951)
Archbishop Filppos (1951-1966)
Archbishop Yosef (1966-1972)
Archbishop Matéwos (1972-1977)
Archbishop Matthias (1979-1982; 2009-2013)
Archbishop Selama (1982-1984)
Archbishop Gabriel (1998-2001)
Archbishop Kewistos (2002-2005)

The Ethiopian archbishop’s residence in the old city preserves a part of Ethiopian community’s archives. These archives are divided into two main sections: the current administrative archival office, which includes all types of administrative documents, and the manuscript section.

  • In the current administrative archival office, there is an heterogeneous set of documents dated from the end of 19th century to present. There is no historical archives properly speaking. It seems that the archives’ organisation changed several times during the last 50 years : therefore, today’s folders represent only the last state of many arrangements. These archives are still used by the local administration for current affairs.

  • The manuscripts section carefully preserves numerous parchment and paper manuscripts written in Ethiopian languages (Geez and Amharic). The collection represents more than 760 manuscripts. The oldest one dates back to the 15th century.

Contesto culturale e geografico

Mandato/Fonti autoritative

Struttura amministrativa

Politiche di gestione documentale e di acquisizione

Edifici

Patrimoni

Strumenti di ricerca, guide e pubblicazioni

Area delle informazioni relative alle condizioni d'accesso

Orari di apertura

Condizioni e requisiti per l'accesso

Accessibilità

Area dei servizi

Servizi di ricerca

Servizi di riproduzione

Aree pubbliche

Area del controllo

Codice identificativo della descrizione

Codice identificativo dell'istitituto conservatore

Norme e convenzioni utilizzate

Stato

Livello di completezza

Date di creazione, revisione, cancellazione

Entry prepared on January 2018

Lingue

Scritture

Note di manutenzione

Author : Stéphane Ancel

Punti di accesso

Punti di accesso

  • Area di lavoro

Contatto principale

Ethiopian Monastery Street, near the 8th Station of the Via Dolorosa
Jerusalem
PS