Ethiopian Archbishop Residence in Jerusalem (EARJ)

حقل المعرف الفريد

المعرف الفريد

PS-EARJ

شكل معتمد من الاسم

Ethiopian Archbishop Residence in Jerusalem (EARJ)

شكل (أشكال) متوازية من الاسم

أشكال أخرى من الاسم

النوع

  • Religious

‬حقل الضبط

 

Ethiopian Archbishop of Jerusalem

النوع

العنوان

عنوان الشارع

Ethiopian Monastery Street, near the 8th Station of the Via Dolorosa

مكان

Jerusalem

منطقة

اسم الدولة

فلسطين

الرمز البريدى

الهاتف

فاكس

البريد الإلكتروني

URL

ملاحظة

Description area

التاريخ

In 1876, the Ethiopians acquired a house in the old city of Jerusalem with the help of the German Johann Frutiger, director of a branch of the Ottoman Bank. This house was immediately leased to the religious institution called the Sisters of Charity of St. Vincent of Paul until 1891. After this year, Ethiopians took full possession of the house and established there the residence of the Ethiopian abbot leader of the Ethiopian community in Jerusalem. After 1951 and the creation of the Ethiopian bishopric in Jerusalem, this house became the headquarter of the Ethiopian bishops in Jerusalem, and after 1959, of the Archbishopric in Jerusalem.
Some residents:
Memher (superior) Walde Sama’et (1891-1902)
Memher Faqada Egzie (1903-1906)
Memher Mahtsanta Sellasie (1906-1923)
Memher Tesfa Masqal (1923-1927)
Memher Walde Mikael (1927-1933)
Memher Gabre Giyorgis (1933-1935)
Memher Kefla Garima (1935-1944)
Memher Gabre Iyasus (1944-1945)
Memher Haraga Wayn (1945-1951)
Archbishop Filppos (1951-1966)
Archbishop Yosef (1966-1972)
Archbishop Matéwos (1972-1977)
Archbishop Matthias (1979-1982; 2009-2013)
Archbishop Selama (1982-1984)
Archbishop Gabriel (1998-2001)
Archbishop Kewistos (2002-2005)

The Ethiopian archbishop’s residence in the old city preserves a part of Ethiopian community’s archives. These archives are divided into two main sections: the current administrative archival office, which includes all types of administrative documents, and the manuscript section.

  • In the current administrative archival office, there is an heterogeneous set of documents dated from the end of 19th century to present. There is no historical archives properly speaking. It seems that the archives’ organisation changed several times during the last 50 years : therefore, today’s folders represent only the last state of many arrangements. These archives are still used by the local administration for current affairs.

  • The manuscripts section carefully preserves numerous parchment and paper manuscripts written in Ethiopian languages (Geez and Amharic). The collection represents more than 760 manuscripts. The oldest one dates back to the 15th century.

Geographical and cultural context

Mandates/Sources of authority

Administrative structure

Records management and collecting policies

Buildings

الممتلكات

Finding aids, guides and publications

Access area

Opening times

Access conditions and requirements

Accessibility

Services area

Research services

Reproduction services

Public areas

حقل الضبط

المعرف القياسي للوصف

معرف المؤسسة

Rules and/or conventions used

الحالة

حالة الوصف

تواريخ الإنشاء والمراجعة والحذف

Entry prepared on January 2018

اللغة (اللغات)

الملفات النصية

ملاحظات الصيانة

Author : Stéphane Ancel

نقاط الاتاحة

Access Points

  • الحافظة

جهة الاتصال الرئيسية

Ethiopian Monastery Street, near the 8th Station of the Via Dolorosa
Jerusalem
PS