Ethiopian Archbishop Residence in Jerusalem (EARJ)

Zone d'identification

Identifiant

PS-EARJ

Forme autorisée du nom

Ethiopian Archbishop Residence in Jerusalem (EARJ)

forme(s) parallèle(s) du nom

    Autre(s) forme(s) du nom

      Type

      • Religieux

      Zone du contact

      Ethiopian Archbishop of Jerusalem

      Type

      Adresse

      Adresse physique

      Ethiopian Monastery Street, near the 8th Station of the Via Dolorosa

      Localité

      Jerusalem

      Région

      Nom du pays

      Territoire palestinien

      Code postal

      Téléphone

      Fax

      Courriel

      URL

      Note

      Zone de description

      Historique

      In 1876, the Ethiopians acquired a house in the old city of Jerusalem with the help of the German Johann Frutiger, director of a branch of the Ottoman Bank. This house was immediately leased to the religious institution called the Sisters of Charity of St. Vincent of Paul until 1891. After this year, Ethiopians took full possession of the house and established there the residence of the Ethiopian abbot leader of the Ethiopian community in Jerusalem. After 1951 and the creation of the Ethiopian bishopric in Jerusalem, this house became the headquarter of the Ethiopian bishops in Jerusalem, and after 1959, of the Archbishopric in Jerusalem.
      Some residents:
      Memher (superior) Walde Sama’et (1891-1902)
      Memher Faqada Egzie (1903-1906)
      Memher Mahtsanta Sellasie (1906-1923)
      Memher Tesfa Masqal (1923-1927)
      Memher Walde Mikael (1927-1933)
      Memher Gabre Giyorgis (1933-1935)
      Memher Kefla Garima (1935-1944)
      Memher Gabre Iyasus (1944-1945)
      Memher Haraga Wayn (1945-1951)
      Archbishop Filppos (1951-1966)
      Archbishop Yosef (1966-1972)
      Archbishop Matéwos (1972-1977)
      Archbishop Matthias (1979-1982; 2009-2013)
      Archbishop Selama (1982-1984)
      Archbishop Gabriel (1998-2001)
      Archbishop Kewistos (2002-2005)

      The Ethiopian archbishop’s residence in the old city preserves a part of Ethiopian community’s archives. These archives are divided into two main sections: the current administrative archival office, which includes all types of administrative documents, and the manuscript section.

      • In the current administrative archival office, there is an heterogeneous set of documents dated from the end of 19th century to present. There is no historical archives properly speaking. It seems that the archives’ organisation changed several times during the last 50 years : therefore, today’s folders represent only the last state of many arrangements. These archives are still used by the local administration for current affairs.

      • The manuscripts section carefully preserves numerous parchment and paper manuscripts written in Ethiopian languages (Geez and Amharic). The collection represents more than 760 manuscripts. The oldest one dates back to the 15th century.

      Contexte géographique et culturel

      Textes de référence

      Structure administrative

      Gestion des archives courantes et intermédiaires et politiques de collecte

      Bâtiments

      Fonds

      Instruments de recherche, guides et publications

      Zone de l'accès

      Heures d'ouverture

      Conditions d'accès et d'utilisation

      Accessibilité

      Zone des services offerts

      Services d'aide à la recherche

      Services de reproduction

      Espaces publics

      Zone du contrôle

      Identifiant de la description

      Identifiant du service d'archives

      Règles et/ou conventions utilisées

      Statut

      Niveau de détail

      Dates de production, de révision et de suppression

      Entry prepared on January 2018

      Langue(s)

        Écriture(s)

          Notes de maintenance

          Author : Stéphane Ancel

          Mots-clés

          Points d'accès