Ethiopian Archbishop Residence in Jerusalem (EARJ)

Περιοχή αναγνώρισης

Κωδικός αναγνώρισης


Καθιερωμένες μορφές του ονόματος

Ethiopian Archbishop Residence in Jerusalem (EARJ)

Παράλληλες μορφές του ονόματος

    Άλλες μορφές του ονόματος


      • Θρησκευτικό

      Περιοχή επαφής

      Ethiopian Archbishop of Jerusalem




      Ethiopian Monastery Street, near the 8th Station of the Via Dolorosa




      Όνομα Χώρα

      Παλαιστινιακά Εδάφη

      Ταχυδρομικός Κωδικός






      Περιοχή περιγραφής


      In 1876, the Ethiopians acquired a house in the old city of Jerusalem with the help of the German Johann Frutiger, director of a branch of the Ottoman Bank. This house was immediately leased to the religious institution called the Sisters of Charity of St. Vincent of Paul until 1891. After this year, Ethiopians took full possession of the house and established there the residence of the Ethiopian abbot leader of the Ethiopian community in Jerusalem. After 1951 and the creation of the Ethiopian bishopric in Jerusalem, this house became the headquarter of the Ethiopian bishops in Jerusalem, and after 1959, of the Archbishopric in Jerusalem.
      Some residents:
      Memher (superior) Walde Sama’et (1891-1902)
      Memher Faqada Egzie (1903-1906)
      Memher Mahtsanta Sellasie (1906-1923)
      Memher Tesfa Masqal (1923-1927)
      Memher Walde Mikael (1927-1933)
      Memher Gabre Giyorgis (1933-1935)
      Memher Kefla Garima (1935-1944)
      Memher Gabre Iyasus (1944-1945)
      Memher Haraga Wayn (1945-1951)
      Archbishop Filppos (1951-1966)
      Archbishop Yosef (1966-1972)
      Archbishop Matéwos (1972-1977)
      Archbishop Matthias (1979-1982; 2009-2013)
      Archbishop Selama (1982-1984)
      Archbishop Gabriel (1998-2001)
      Archbishop Kewistos (2002-2005)

      The Ethiopian archbishop’s residence in the old city preserves a part of Ethiopian community’s archives. These archives are divided into two main sections: the current administrative archival office, which includes all types of administrative documents, and the manuscript section.

      • In the current administrative archival office, there is an heterogeneous set of documents dated from the end of 19th century to present. There is no historical archives properly speaking. It seems that the archives’ organisation changed several times during the last 50 years : therefore, today’s folders represent only the last state of many arrangements. These archives are still used by the local administration for current affairs.

      • The manuscripts section carefully preserves numerous parchment and paper manuscripts written in Ethiopian languages (Geez and Amharic). The collection represents more than 760 manuscripts. The oldest one dates back to the 15th century.

      Γεωγραφικό και πολιτιστικό πλαίσιο

      Νομικό/κανονιστικό πλαίσιο

      Διοικητική δομή

      Διαχείριση ενεργών και ημιενεργών αρχείων και πολιτική προσκτήσεων



      Εργαλεία έρευνας, κατάλογοι και δημοσιεύσεις

      Περιοχή πρόσβασης

      Ωράριο λειτουργίας

      Συνθήκες και όροι πρόσβασης

      Συνθήκες προσπέλασης

      Περιοχή παρεχόμενων υπηρεσιών

      Υπηρεσίες έρευνας

      Υπηρεσίες αναπαραγωγής

      Χώροι ανοικτοί στο κοινό

      Περιοχή ελέγχου

      Κωδικός αναγνώρισης περιγραφής

      Κωδικός αναγνώρισης του φορέα καθιέρωσης της εγγραφής

      Κανόνες και/ή συμβάσεις

      Κατάσταση επεξεργασίας της εγγραφής

      Επίπεδο λεπτομέρειας της περιγραφής

      Ημερομηνίες δημιουργίας, αναθεώρησης ή κατάργησης της περιγραφής

      Entry prepared on January 2018



          Πληροφορίες για τη σύνταξη/ενημέρωση της περιγραφής

          Author : Stéphane Ancel

          Σημεία πρόσβασης

          Σημεία Πρόσβασης